Sunday, October 19, 2008

Encounters

It's been a weekend for odd encounters that have made me chuckle.
1) Friday afternoon at the post office, the Indian man (turban guy at the Central Station) informed me that I am "obviously a good person" because of the packages I was mailing. Oh, how nice to be judged not by the color of your skin but the content of your parcel post.
2) Saturday at the blood bank (C loves to go there and pick out the color of my bandage) I asked about donation restrictions after travelling to Ethiopia. (If you don't leave Addis you're fine by the way). That lead to the obvious questions, and I learned that one of the techs was just starting an adoption from Ethiopia with another agency. Another tech asked if I knew JV, my social worker, because she did his homestudy. Small world, and crazy how many families in this little town adopt!
3) Saturday night I just had to divest myself of some of the Costco sized foodstuffs I have stocked up on, because even if I give away half of the gallon of peanut butter, I'm still saving money at that place. I dropped off some PB&J, apples, Sugar and rice at a friend's house in the evening. As I was driving home she called to tell me that three of those same items she had tried to buy earlier in the day and had to put them back (against her 3 kids' very loud protests) because she was short on money. She called me her "God squishy", and I had to chuckle.

No comments: