Toddlers sure get a bad rap. Especially in the whole pre-adoption education arena. By the time I was done with my required reading I remember thinking I'd adopt pretty much any age child other than a toddler. Because surely a toddler, with their lack of communication or ability to comprehend complex reasoning combined with their awareness of what has been going on around them and unwillingness to accept change were the perfect combination of elements to assure they would grow up to murder you in your sleep 15 years down the line. I mean, if you read the literature, they all turn out screwed up, right?Okay, so yes, this is pretty much how we spent our first week together...
Yeah, that was super fun. I remember thinking, there's lots of nice, unattached babies just lying around here. Can I trade? But seriously, that's just crazy talk. Because why??? would anyone want to sign up for thrice nightly feedings, 8 poopy diapers a day and all that expensive formula when you can just skip right to the good stuff?Like ear piercing squeals, while running around in circles and climbing the furniture (and standing on the table, using the chairs to access the kitchen counter, dumping the cat food, unrolling the toilet paper, and emptying the garbage can).
Being called "Mama" (along with the cat, the dog, and the interesting piece of Tupperware he just found).Help with the vacuuming (riding on it counts as help, right), picking up the toys (I kid you not, he picks up his toys!!) and of course the all important "door monitoring". Because what would I do if a household door were left carelessly open?
And then there are the sound effects. Little boys come pre- programmed with the airplane and truck sounds built right in. Vrooom, vrrrr. These can be a bit wet at times, but that makes them more realistic.
They blow kisses too. If there's one things those kids at Hannah's Hope got alot of, it was kisses. And it certainly shows. Ashi blows kisses goodbye and lots and lots of them for goodnight.
And speaking of goodnights, at bedtime Ashi lays down in his crib and, well, goes to sleep. Only to pop his head up 11 hrs later and proclaim, "Ah ya!" ready to start the day. How awesome is that? I certainly have never managed to "sleep train" a child before. It makes me wish I'd tried a bit harder, because this is awesome! (disclaimer for the attachment Nazis: for the first 6 weeks I stayed in his room until he was asleep. But now, he lays quietly and babbles for 5-45 minutes before drifting off on his own.)
They wave hello and goodbye. And they pick up sign language quick. We've already got a handle on all done, more, up, and eat.
Not that the communication is perfect. No toddler is without the tantrums. But no matter how many times he yanks that toy apart after you fix it for him, how on earth can you honestly deny that face? "Please mama, fix it again"
Oh, and they clap and dance and wiggle to the music. How sweet it is to see him clapping at the end of each song at church. Even the grumpy old men smile.
And toddlers have all these great expressions and silly faces. Ashi's signature is the fish lips.
.jpg)
They know how to play Peek-a-boo, hide-and-seek, and chase.
And I'm not sure what this game is called officially, but we call it "Baby in a Box". In Ethiopia I watched the nannies helping the kids into the plastic crates that held the toys, and they would sit in there as happy as can be. Well if Ashi sees a box, or laundry basket, or bucket, or crate that is just where he's gonna be. And oh the joy he discovered when I first slid him down the stairs in his laundry basket. Good times!
They also know how to play telephone. He says, "heh, heh?". ANYTHING can be a telephone, like the remote, computer mouse, toy hammer and blocks. But the creme de la creme is definitely the cell phone. The nannies let the kids play with their phones (don't ask me how they had cell phones) as a super special treat for their favorites. Well I never thought I would ever let a toddler play with my cell, but to him it's like the ultimate love language or something. When Mama gives you the phone- all is right in the world.
Toddlers also snuggle. Not just like a wet lump that you get to hold, but really grab you back and hang on.
Ashi, we're so glad you're a sassy toddler with a big stubborn personality and a whole lot of spunky charm. You are just perfect for our family and we love you so much!
(Photo credit: all the good photos were taken by Sandi Heinrich Photography, for free too)
.jpg)
.jpg)
12 comments:
Wow, what a tribute to your boy ... how great to read and see! thanks for all the pics.
What great pictures and sweet words about your boy! :)
Awesome pictures!! Those will sure be treasured forever.
soooooo cute! i love the one of him holding your face :) and i LOVE toddlers, they just crack me up and i love that they are not so wobbly like babies but nice solid chunks :)
Okay...you made me cry. Nothing like a good cry at 6:30 in the morning to start your day off right. :) lol Good to read those updates on your little man. Elyse and I send our love to all of you.
Sunday
adorable!
Great! Makes me look forward to Huggins being a toddler. Also, thanks so much for the card! We really like it!
I love this post!! THanks so much for sharing!! I was beaming the whole time reading it.
such a cutie pie!
I think you are a mama in love !!! Very sweet honest tribute to your beautiful boy :) I would love love to adopt a toddler....dont tell dh !!.... :)
Those pictures are great... and i love the stories.
This is one of the best posts I've ever read!! Little boys are sooo precious!
Post a Comment