Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Brought to you by the letter

This evening C sat down at his "creation station" and decided he wanted to cut out the letter A. C isn't much of a "drawer", he's more of a "creator". Which is why our art table is stocked with toilet paper tubes, shoe boxes, string, rubber bands, tape, staples, and other miscellaneous bits. C loves to create multi-medium, often 3-dimensional, functional art for the most part. With a smattering of treasure maps, Bionicles, scary monsters, and love notes for his Mama in between.

First he made the lowercase A, completely on his own. After showing it to me, he decided he needed to make a set, so he cut out a capital A as well. I was quite impressed at his cutting skills because:

1) He is not exceptionally advanced in his fine motor skills (read: He's a typical boy)
2) He didn't draw it before cutting.
3) They actually look EXACTLY like what he intended them to be.

So this mom thought they were worthy of the bragging frame. These cool frames open up with hinges so you can just pop in new art in like 5 seconds flat. As you can see I popped these on top of an old painting. They hold up to 50 sheets of art. Just one of the many cool and random things my mother finds in catalogs.

Then we rode on over to Family Fun Night at a neighborhood church for carnival games (minus the cigarettes, tattoos and missing teeth), a bouncy house, hot dogs and snow cones (even though I actually fed the boy a full dinner he scarfed a weeny in record time- the teenage years will be scary), and a magic show. Followed by my repeated explanations that, "No those swords didn't really go into her head. No it would not be cool if they really did. No, you can't try that yourself. Remember, it's just an illusion. An illusion means....oh never mind, just don't do it".



The delinquent in training, spray painting a car (which the kids will smash next week)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That is totally worthy of framing! What a treasure to cherish. Thanks for your post about us finally making it through court and getting travel. We are so excited to be leaving in 10 days to bring Grace home.

I am enjoying your blog very much--especially the exploding head drawing. Too Funny!

The Gresham Clan said...

How adorable is that?! It sounds like you and C are having a great time this summer! Hope we can meet up sometime :).

Kristin

Jen said...

I love the "bragging frame"! Does your Mom remeber where she got it?

Three2Five said...

Thanks for the message! and the support. By the way let your litte artist know that is some mighty fine artwork!

Maria and Family said...

Hey what is a carnival without missing teeth and tattoos? Heehee...I kid :) I think your son is very talented. I love the letters :)
Maria

C said...

We all saw the POWER in prayer and fasting when we as a blog family took a day to do this for the hold on some of the Ethiopia adoptions.. SO I feel that we as a blog family need to do this for Margot (Julies' mom) SO please join me this Friday July 25,2008 for a day of fasting and prayer for Margots healing!!!!
C
"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers."
1 Peter 3:12

obligato said...

thank you so much for your prayers! they mean so much to us!

Julie

Heather said...

So you're saying we can't cruise for carney's tomorrow night? Dang. Oh, wait, it's at a baptist church, I already snagged me a baptist. If he danced with snakes, he would kinda be like a carney, right?
It's late and I have a migraine, feel free to delete this comment ;)