Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Summer Reading

Our local library (like probably ever other library in the country) has a summer reading program. Last year this was a big hit around our house. Christian had just started reading and I let him earn 30 minutes for every book he read, which only took 10 to 15 minutes but I thought that was more than fair for a pre-schooler. Every 5 hours he won a prize (like a free pool pass or slice of pizza). After 15 hours he got to pick out a "new" book (read: ratty old donated book or retired library book). He picked our a Magic School Bus story, a total hit, but not that surprising from the kid who asks Santa for some chocolate, please.

This year the kids get a prize for every 5 books they read (uh, this shouldn't take long). So I picked up the paperwork and a pile of books on my lunchbreak today (the library is two blocks from the office and it was gorgeous weather, finally). When Christian saw all of the "loot" this evening he was pretty pumped up. He immediatly scoured the books and picked out one he just HAD to read RIGHT NOW (while I'm sorting the mail). So he sits down in the living room and reads really loudly so I can hear the story, and gets up to run across the room whenever he gets stuck on a word. Literally, he would run to the kitchen to show me and run back to the couch to read again. It was super cute! I hope he's this excited all summer.

Next I was going to search for a photo to go with this post, because no one wants to read a blog without pictures. When I hear the unmistakable sound of a boy (who has been resisting going to sleep) fall asleep. What, you may wonder, is the unmistakable sound of a boy falling asleep? Well lately it is snoring, because when it doesn't get above 60 degrees in June, it seems appropriate for a little boy to have a snotty nosed, crusty eyed, coughing cold. So sleep is accompanied by snoring this week. When I took a moment to further investigate, this is what I discovered.

At least he had sense enough to lay on the body pillow.

2 comments:

Our journey said...

What a cutie! I laugh at the library reading program too. Ours is by the number of books you read and we can fill-up one of their sheets in a day easy.

Amy

Erin said...

I know, that's exactly why I won't tell him that the library will give him credit for the books I read to him too. I'm such a mean mom.