Friday, June 27, 2008

Dreaming of High Speed Internet

Warning: Photo is unrelated to post. Because no one wants to read this lousy blog without photos. A little boy and a big gun at our campground on Lopez Island.

Many of my blog friends out in cyberspace have such lovely blogs to explore. I know this because I like to visit them...at work...on my lunch break of course. They play music when the page loads, there are video clips from You Tube and One True Media, they put nice big sharp photos up. They are lovely blogs really. Then I come home an work on my own sad little blog. And I go check in on all the blogs I like to stalk (someday I'll put a fancy list of them on the sidebar). I click on these lovely blogs, and then I curse them for the random jags of music they try to play, the empty boxes where nice large photos should appear, and the video posts that just stare back and taunt me to click on them.
Dial-up internet isn't so bad. I mean, for $6.99 a month for six months. I'm really having trouble with the thought of paying like $50 a month for better internet (they always have all those extra fees hidden in there too). But, then again, I'm also having a hard time spending 6 hours on the computer to upload a half dozen highly compressed images to my blog. Or not being able to purchase anything from half.com because my connection times out and my cart empties itself. The whole point of springing for internet was that I could keep up with photos that don't seem to get scrapbooked anymore, and maybe create a blog book every year. But what really would be the point of that when all my photos are compressed beyond printability ( I think I just made that word up).
So here I am debating over the offer from Comcast for "Economy High Speed" (okay am I just going to slowly inch up the speed and price til I finally get to the top, because will I really be happy with 768 Kbps?) or the Quest "guaranteed price for life" Silver Speed offer *with qualifying phone package (uh, I don't think my economy phone plan qualifies), or maybe I'll just cancel my home phone to make up the difference and spring for the good stuff (referring to the fast internet in case that wasn't clear).
Damn, it's stressful being a cheap skate!
Suggestions welcome.

No comments: