Thursday, October 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Pumpkin

My first little pumpkin is 8 today. We took advantage of our annual pumpkin pile photo to pick up a few extra gourds to satisfy all our carving party invitations. We have plans to carve Friday, Saturday AND Sunday this weekend! It's good to be loved.

Today at school Christian got to pick out a birthday book from his teachers. They bought a selection of birthday themed books for the kids to choose from and Christian was the first birthday of the year. When I went to pick him up his teacher pulled me aside to tell me that he at first chose the Little House on the Prairie birthday book (no idea what that was) but another child got upset because he really wanted to have that one for his own birthday. So Christian changed his choice. When his teacher reminded the class that more books would get added to the selection later and told Christian that he didn't need to change his choice if he didn't want to, he told her, "My friendship is more important than that book." Awe, I was so proud of him!

Of course when I tried to compliment him later on making such a thoughtful decision he got all upset and didn't want to talk about it. I guess bringing it up reminded him that the classmate wasn't being all that kind toward him during the incident and he was actually kind of upset about the way he'd been spoken to by the other kid. So my attempt to play the proud, encouraging parent pretty much blew up in my face. Eh, you win some you lose some :)
We went out to the hibachi restaurant for dinner and I got him a set of Snap Circuits for his gift. He was completely enthralled by an electrical demonstration at the children's museum recently. He is so excited to try it out, I let him stay up a bit late to check out all the parts and pieces but unfortunately the weeknights just get away from us and I had to send him to bed without doing any projects in it. Hopefully life will settle down next week.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Chrisian! Snap circuits sounds like it would be a hit around here! Where did you find it?

Ron & Maria said...

Happy Birthday Big Brother!

Kimmie said...

What a kind hearted sweet son you have. Good job mama, good job!

Kimmie
mama to 8
one homemade and 7 adopted