Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Daycare: A Review as told by Ashi

Day 1: (morning) Hey this place is cool. What? You're leaving mom? Whatever. What's that? Can I play with it?
(evening) "Mama!" Hey I missed you.
(in the car) "Ashi haf yummy pancakes. Yummy sausage. Yummy applesauce. School fun. Playdoh fun. Markers fun. Friends fun."

Day 2: (morning) This again? Okay, it's fun here. See ya later ma. "Bye."
(evening) lip quivering "Mama home. Mama home. Get Bubba."
(in the car) "Ashi haf friend. Dinosaur Roar fun. Ashi haf yummy pizza."

Day 3: (morning) "No bye Mama. No bye" Oh look, a waving window. Hey I can climb up there by myself. This is cool. "Bye Mom."
(afternoon) "Mama home? Mama home?"
(evening) "Mama home! Get Bubba! Mama Home!"

Day 4: (morning) screaming fit
Day 5: (morning) hysterical screaming fit

Ahh, the novelty of daycare sure wears off fast. Luckily he does legitimately love it there and has a very good time all day. On day 2 he had a note attached to his sign-out sheet. I thought, "great, already got our first naughty note." But actually he was on the receiving end of the violence. Phew, nice to have a point in our corner before he starts in on it himself. We now have received 3 naughty notes...life is good. And he is singing the ABCs constantly- which is wicked cute!

Today I had the "welcome conference" with his teacher, the same teacher Christian had 5 years ago. She thinks he's pretty sweet, and is absolutely blown away by his motor skills. She must have told me three times, "He can drop kick a ball!" which I thought was funny because I'd have to be brain dead to have missed that one by now as pretty much anything that can be dropped kicked by that child has been drop kicked by that child in my house. And they do all these "learning objectives" and assessments weekly as part of their curriculumn now. He apparently is very high on the "self help skills" (managing his clothes and shoes, using the bathroom, going down for nap, eating his meals) which surprised me, but maybe that's just something he's going to do at school and save the hoplessly needy moments for mama. Lucky mama.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I took full advantantage of the "Mommy needs to do it" dependence. It took almost 10 months for him to get more independent... and yet he "could" do anything on his own. I took it as a transitional and bonding experience. Maybe he was just "playing me" but I loved it! I know exactly what you mean.

He'll get used to school and you can tell he loves the interactions! SO GLAD!

The Hull's at #4 said...

Lucky mamma indeed!! Precious Ashi!!