.jpg)
No, not this little monkey. Oi, the Health Department (sorry Sabina, not personal). Just a little rant because I think this is dumb. First of all, they HAVE to OBSERVE me give Ashi his meds EVERYDAY. Okay, fine. So the nurse comes at 8 or 8:30 every morning, crushes some pills, and watches me put half of them in a bottle. I sign the paper, and she leaves. Your tax dollars hard at work here! The "doctor", who I have never met (previews of single-payer, government run, health care I'm tellin' you) makes all the decisions, and the nurse basically transmits the info over to me. Lots o' fun.
Remember the stomach aspiration procedure? Who could forget? Well no TB was found in the mucus. So that's good news, right? Oh no. That means we can't rule out any medications, we must assume he has Multi-Drug Resistant TB, and he has to keep taking all four drugs everyday. These drugs of course make him poop like a newborn on steroids too. Lots o'fun.
Then, he loses two pounds in the last two weeks. Which the doctor (who has never laid eyes on him remember) thinks is very serious. Oooh, he must be succumbing to the TB (gag). Uh huh, this child eats like a linebacker, sleeps 11 hours at night, and runs around all day long with his big 'ol pot belly hanging out (did I mention he doesn't even cough?). Yes, he must be deathly ill. Blech. The actual pediatrician, who actually examines him (novel idea), thinks he's fine. Because, maybe having diarrhea 8 times a day is making it a little hard to keep the weight on.
In the meantime, the Health Department is getting together a web cam system, so they can "observe" his medication intake without intruding on our home everyday. Yep, I feel so much less violated, thanks. Because they absolutely MUST watch him take it. Well, now that his "seclusion" is over they don't have to observe him take it on the weekends, just Monday-Friday excluding Federal and State holidays. Puh-leaze! So what if we go out of town sometime in the next 6-9 months? All this because I apparently can't be trusted to remember to give him his meds everyday. Nope, I couldn't possibly remember that. I mean, I can qualify to adopt a child, but obviously not to care for one.
Today is Saturday by the way. Someone forgot to drop off our weekend meds yesterday, or are we skipping the weekends? Hmm. (He's on the "daily" regimen, not the 2x weekly one BTW for all you medical personnel out there) We were up and ready at 8am when it occurred to me that meds hadn't been left Friday. I guess it's okay to skip two day's meds, as long as they can watch him get them during the work week. Yep, let's just medicate him on workdays, that sounds good. I'm sure that is the latest greatest treatment protocol. Because the mother can't be trusted and Uncle Sam is the one paying the doctor. I feel good about that. Really good.
Disclaimer: This post and the opinions expressed herein have nothing to do with any individual staff members at the Health Department. I realize they do not establish these regulations, they merely follow them because that is their job. So don't go causing more trouble for me.
7 comments:
YIKES!
I find the 'protocol' crazy - they're all up for watching you give his meds, but only when it's convenient for them.... interesting.... ya, what if you wanted to leave town - ok, what if you HAVE to leave town... for a day or 2? Would you have to leave your little guy in the care of state workers?... crazy system - and on the other side of the world people are relinquishing their children b/c they can't care for them b/c they've contracted a preventable disease - doesn't seem balanced...
Hang in there, ask your doc, the invisible one, when he's going to see your child, or why he doesn't stop by for a visit...SQUEAK a little!
Yeah...squeeking would probably be appropriate. I am BLOWN away that they would suggest a webcam!! TELL ME IF THAT DOESN'T SCREAM "BIG BROTHER"! Not the TV show (we boycott that...) the government...
I am SOOOOOO sorry that you are in this position but SOOO, SOOOO glad that your little guy really is healthy in spite of it all! THAT'S A HUGE BLESSING!
I am kinda lost as to what is going on here.....sorry:( Does the little man have TB?? Our little lady is on TB meds too....but I give it to her on my own. Why are you being treated differently?? I should get your email address.
Michelle
Oh brother! That sounds ridiculous! I'm so sorry you're having to put up with that. :(
Erin,
I feel for you girl...that is really annoying. Call me if you want to seriously vent. I'm here!
Sunday
I can not believe how much you and your little man have been thru. the health dept procedures sound a bit ....over the top!! So sorry for you guys..
Hey -- it's just me, a friendly blog-stalker who means you no harm. :)
If it makes you feel any better (and I'm not sure if it will, but it doesn't hurt to try), my husband's grandfather was diagnosed with Tuberculosis last summer and was closely monitored (to an insane degree) by the health department as well. I guess they do that for everyone. It's not cuz they don't trust you - they're just ridiculous. Have a great day and thanks for sharing your life through your blog!
Post a Comment