His breakfast in Ethiopia was eggs blended with potatoes and carrots. Sometimes they had eggs with onions, tomatoes and berbere. They also ate bananas and oatmeal. For snacks they had bowls of milk with bread chunks in it between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. And everytime they ate they ate a lot! I am totally underfeeding Ashenafi, he's probably eating about half as much right now. That will get better as he gets used to American food, but he's pretty reluctant.
Here he is enjoying some good 'ol American macaroni and cheese! He feeds himself pretty well, they let the kids self feed at the orphanage, but they also had to be fed because they really wanted to get a lot of food in them. We're doing pretty well with pasta at home, tomato or cheese sauces are going down good. Meat is a little trickier. He is not accustomed to the texture, but loves breakfast sausage (who doesn't?). Yesterday he had some rotisserie chicken, so we're getting there.
Fruits and veggies are not happening. He eats bananas like a mad man, but spits out applesauce, peach or pear chunks, and veggie pieces (but will teethe on a raw carrot). I'm mixing baby fruits into his morning oatmeal (a huge bowl of oatmeal), and baby veggies into his shiro, but we're no where near our five-a-day (unless you count all the tomatoes and onions). Thank God for Poly-vi-sol! He gets Ethiopian food at least once a day (usually lunch), and has to suffer through American grub the rest of the time. If it really doesn't seem like he ate enough, I mix rice cereal in his bedtime bottle and a squirt of vitamins.
2 comments:
Erin,
I miss you guys!!! It looks like things are going really well. Let's catch up sometime soon.
Sunday
I'm a new reader here. Your son is just GORGEOUS, I am so glad that he is home.
I would love to know more about the beginning of your adoption journey, but I was unable to find an 'e-mail me' option. Would you mind contacting me?
Kim
trying4two@gmail.com
Post a Comment