Thursday, February 12, 2009

HI/LO Thursday

Okay, I know I'm such a stick in the mud I never participate. But today it seems so easy to post the high and low of the week, because they both came today.

HIGH
Obviously the high was finding out that I passed court, along with Sunday another single mom who has been my adoption buddy from day one, as well as Shannon, Kristi and Christine (those people have husbands in case you're wondering).

LOW
And the low was finding out that A is going to be terrified of me. Lovely! Autumn was so kind to check in on my sweet boy while she was picking up her Elias (who incidentally wasn't thrilled at the site of her either). She wrote the following (and I totally appreciate her honesty and the preparation):

The first time we saw A he was on the "po po" aka potty. They had about 20 potties lined up outside against a wall and all of the toddlers were going at the same time. So although I do not know to what degree he is potty trained, he is at least in the process of being potty trained. They have them sit there until they go :(. There were 3 nannies keeping watch to make sure they went before they got up. He was on potty number 3. I was holding Elias and my sister had one of his toys. It was a silly little vibrating toy. She put it on the first boy's arm and he died laughing. It was so cute. She went to boy #2 did the same thing and got the same response. The moment she made a move toward A he started screaming. She quickly walked away and he remained inconsolable until a nanny walked over and started hugging him. She went down the line and the kids were having a great time. As she walked back up the line she held out her hand to A and again he started crying. At that point Almaz came down and told us we had to leave because we were distracting the kids from pooping. Oh well :)

I saw him again later that afternoon. All of the toddlers were playing in a small grassy area. I look over and what do I see? A is WALKING!!!! He was full on walking all by himself and it was very uneven ground. After about 6 steps he ran into a road block. A soccer ball. :) The poor guy didn't know how to turn and so he just walked straight into it. He fell belly first right onto the soccer ball and did a little balancing act before rolling off onto the ground. He was fine. Not hurt or crying. That was until he looked up to see his special mother who comes RUNNING toward him as though he had just
taken a nasty fall. He sees her "poor baby" face and immediately he starts crying. She picked him up and held him on her lap. I have to say she unabashedly shows extreme favoritism to him. It is very obvious that she prefers him to anyone else and vice versa. At that point the toddlers left for naps and I didn't get to see him again.

In all honesty, Erin (and I say this because I wish someone would have helped prepare me for Elias) you are going to have a very very difficult couple of days. A is flat out terrified of white people. That's really all there is to it. We tried toys and those didn't work. I truly have no suggestions for you other than stay strong and know he will be scared. Anytime he would even see me or my sister look at him or hold out a hand to him he would start crying. I felt so bad because truly he was just scared.
So there you have it. Most children take about 12-13 years before they start hating their parents. Mine is 16 months old and already does :)

12 comments:

Josh and Kristi said...

Erin, don't let it spoil your excitement. You'll win him over quick, and have stories for the baby book! Bring some fun toys he'll be yours before you know it.
Kristi

Troy said...

I will be praying that God will soften his heart and that when he sees you, he'll know who you are and attach quickly!

Anonymous said...

Erin,

We are going to take it in stride (together!) and just rejoice in that we can HEAR him crying...we will be with our children!!!! You can hang out with me...I am so used to crying children from my job...sounds fun doesn't it!!! :) lol But seriously...it won't phase me at all. It's actually really great that you expect it to happen because it will ease the blow that you might have felt if you hadn't known. We're going to have a great time, crying and all,...stick with me sister!

Sunday

jody said...

hey maybe he just hates autumn and her family-hahaha! (just kidding if you are reading this autumn ;) ) you KNOW i am praying for you!!

Jen said...

I'm sure that's so hard to hear Erin. It will only take time but he will soon know the love you have for him.

Kristi J said...

I loved Jody's comment...too funny...My girly is 9 months old, so she'll probably be scared of me too...Just love them and they'll get over it eventually i'm sure...Glad to read that though, I'll start praying about it now, kristi

The Gresham Clan said...

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS on making it through court - YEAH - SOOO excited for you!!! I am praying for you Erin - I know if we had gotten Abraham at this age (they're the same age) he would have totally been the same way (he is SUPER attached to me now). Please know that we are literally here for you the minute you get home (or whenever you want - wait as long as you want or not). If you think it would help A, we'll be over immediately (maybe seeing another little "brown" boy his same age might help - or not :) ). We are definitely lifting all three of you up in prayer! Do you have the travel lists? I'll drop the other stuff off today on our way to church. You're an awesome mom and he'll warm to you - it just may take more time and patience than others - you're SO the perfect mom for him!!

Kristin

Clark and Sarah said...

Our little girl had a real hard time meeting us. Everyone of the other families had these wonderful first moments with their kids and ours cried. We only felt bad for her. Like Autumn said it is better to know ahead of time that he might have a tough time. Our little girl cried the first day or two on and off and was very sad. But after that she suddenly become happier and she is doing pretty good now (two weeks later). It is always an adjustment and a process, but will be wonderful.

Clark and Sarah said...

Hey, just wondering what your little guy looks like and how old he is? We met a little boy in HH three weeks ago that was a little younger than two but walking around. He was a chunky little guy and very friendly. Just wondering whose little boy we saw and held.

cb4swife said...

Excited to get to travel with you! I am praying for you and your little guy! God Bless...Shannon

Shauna said...

Hi Erin... I noticed on the listserv that you have room for donations... i have a bouncy seat and moses basket ready for someone to take... plus i can get diapers and wipes etc... why don't you email me and see if this is something you can fit. my email is: shaunasinclair1@comcast.net

also... your lil' boy is going to love you....

Brian and Autumn said...

Wow, I can't believe my update was your low :( I am so sorry...I truly didn't mean to upset you, Erin. It's ok that it may take a little time for him to get used to you - it doesn't mean he hates you! Hopefully it was just me :)