Wednesday, February 18, 2009

16 Months

Today is A's 16 month birthday (that's a real occasion to celebrate, right?). So in honor of the big day, I'm NOT going to post 16 things I know and love about you A, but I will post the update from Almaz.

He is a big eater. His favorite things to eat are eggs, rice, bananas and he loves to drink milk and juice. We try to have all the kids eat a little of western foods like bread and pasta a few times a week, but Ethiopian foods are still their favorites. He is playful and happy most of the time and is only a little cranky when he is tired and/or hungry.

He likes to play with the other children and is pretty good about sharing the toys. He is so cute and knows he is.

So that explains the 50% weight gain in recent months, I actually know how to handle a big eater (and the social worker thinks this just be my "in" with the little man, I'll win him over with my superior food offerings. muhahahaha)

I also dug a bit deeper (because I want to finish packing damnit) and found out that he's drinking cow's milk out of sippy cups. I was actually hoping to squeak by on powdered formula and disposable liner bottles for the trip. As much as I will enjoy washing sippy cups with bottled water and keeping fresh milk from spoiling in Africa, I just thought, ya know, that I might have better things to do. Silly me.

5 comments:

Maria and Family said...

Yay for you getting an update!!! I would love some "baby girl" info. What about those little milk boxes that are sealed on the shelf? It wouldnt be cold (unless you had a fridge in your room) but it would be fresh and easy to carry..just a thought. I can not wait to see your little man!! I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kimmie said...

Oh, I am sure he'd be happy to have whatever you brought him...they do make the boxed/non refrigerated milk...but I honestly think your way sounds perfect.

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Our journey said...

THere are fridges in the rooms in the Union, so keeping milk won't be hard at all! I can't wait for you to go and meet the little guy!

Heather said...

damn you and your big eaters.

Daisy said...

OH, "Our Journey" already told you. THere are small, dorm fridges in the rooms. Ours was inside our desk...yep, where the computer harddrive would go...just open the door. No Worries! LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING MORE ABOUT YOUR TRAVELS!