On Saturday after the costume party and birthday dinner we pulled into the driveway at about 6:30. Mr. Excitement was fast asleep in the backseat (because you know that 7 1/2 minute drive would do it to anyone). So for the third time this week I haul his 50lbs of wet noodle upstairs to deposit into the bed. I must say, I think I carry my sleeping 5-year-old far more than anyone else I know. And my back it going to punish me for it. If I could afford a chiropractor, I'd be making him rich. But I digress. As we reach the top of the stairs, true to form, he toots. And promptly says "excuse me". I nearly dropped him on his head! Now if I could teach him some manners in the waking hours.
And then tonight, as I'm once again hauling his sleeping butt out of the car through the very cramped garage and up the stairs (evil, evil, stairs) I plop him down on the bed and he says "Aw man! I'm tired" snore, snore, snore. No, really? I guess it is 7:30, that's a whole two hours longer than you managed to stay awake on Monday night. So I leave him face down for a half hour while I go cook chicken for tomorrow's work luncheon. When I come back I strip him naked, stick him on the toilet, put pajamas on him AND brush his teeth. He is a highly cooperative zombie, follows all of my commands ("Go pee", "open up", "spit", "do the funky chicken" well maybe not the last one) and is still completely out when plopped back into the bed.
How is it that a child who wouldn't sleep for more than 38.2 minutes at a time for the first 9 months of life, can now sleep through anything? At least I won't have to worry about the baby waking him up.
2 comments:
Ha - you are too funny!
Sheesh! And here is my son who woke with us at the ungodly hour of 5:00 am this morning to drive to San Diego, stayed awake until 9:00pm tonight. Do ya think his attitude problem has anything to do with him NOT SLEEPING?!
I've always heard that colicky babies pay you back tenfold for the torture they put you through during the first year...
Post a Comment