Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Too Tired to Post, but will anyway


Another long day. This week is full of them. I signed C up for Vacation Bible School because there was one actually offered in the evenings. Since he doesn't get to do any "camps", I thought it would be a fun treat. And it has been, that along with the fast food dinner he gets every night. So from 6-9 pm he's been rocking out with his good buddy B, and afterward I've been taking home two other little boys. Needless to say, 6:30am has been coming mighty early lately!

Today was even more hectic, it started with a relaxing drive to South Seattle (Ha!). My biometrics appointment at Homeland Security was at 9am. Let's just say that was an experience. Anyone else find the whole process surprisingly intimidating? First of all, CIS is this massive imposing government building. It's frightening looking. Then there is the security, which is a bit more invasive than your average airport screening. And each time you want to move from spot A to spot B you have to show your "permission slip" and your passport. By the time you get to spot Y and are ready to go home, you feel like you've just finished a job interview or some other equally pleasant meeting. Luckily everyone was nice and helpful- but I wonder if that was only because I'm white and was carrying a US passport.
Now I am a proud passport carrying citizen whose electronic fingerprints are being rapidly compared against all unsolved crimes in the FBI database. Isn't technology wonderful?


But there was one cool thing that happened. When I pulled up there was a sign for the parking area, where you had to show your permission slip and ID, and pay $5 CASH ONLY. Give me a break, right? Why on earth can't I park for 30 minutes at a government building when I have an appointment? Anyway.... If you know me in real life you might not realize this (for some reason I get the undeserved reputation of having my act together, funny I know) but I NEVER have cash. BUT, what do you know? I just so happened to have a five spot just sitting on my center console. My dear friend Elody, who went berry picking with us over the weekend insisted on pitching in a little gas money. Which I paid very little attention too at the time. Isn't that neat that she just happened to leave $5 in my car? (Just can it Dad, I don't want to hear about the necessity of always having cash. I do have the key-chain twenty you gave me still stashed for emergencies, so there!)

So I made it out of there in 30 minutes, and back to Stanwood to pick up the little man from Grandma's. They were out on a horseback ride when I got there. We continued on back home so he could spend the afternoon at the beach and I could get to work. I finally retrieved him at 5:15 (at the ice cream shop- a story for another day), and we cruised over to day three of VBS. He's lovin' VBS, but man he's tired too!

1 comment:

Our journey said...

We got our prints done in Yakima. We were suprised at how unimpressive a building it was. It looked more like a doctor's office, than a government building. There was a ridiculous amount of security though. They even scanned my cupcakes (long story)! I would not have had the $5 either! I NEVER carry cash and my mother talks to me about it all the time. LOL I hope your FDL comes back quickly.

Amy