He drives a VERY BIG BOAT. Like the size of my house, big. And he can parallel park that sucker.
He’s spent half his life living on stanky boats, in shitty cold, nasty wet Alaska. And still loves his job.
He saves peoples lives, and gets fancy awards from important people (I'd rather they gave him a pile of money so he'd retire and stop sticking his neck out there.)
He drinks about 5 pots of coffee a day when he’s at work, yes I said pots. (But he cuts it down to about 3 at home)
He quit smoking cold turkey, at age 50, because I threatened to withold grandchildren from him.
He can’t wait to get home and provide me a whole month of FREE CHILDCARE! In fact, he has taken to e-mailing me the exact number of hours until he gets home to steal my child. Seriously, how cute is that?
When C was the most unlovable colicky infant (seriously, even my Grandma said she could now understand why people beat children) he stayed UP with him all night (repeatedly) so I could sleep. I could drive over there at any hour of the night, ring the doorbell, and just go to bed while he paced the floor with the nasty little bugger.
He doesn't let my mom see the birthday cards after he's signed them so he can sneak cash into them, and fills up my tank when he uses my car, and still sneaks bills into my back pocket "just because".
He actually wants his kids to move back home (the phrase “family compound” makes him giddy). I shudder at the thought, but it’s still nice to be loved.
He reads my blog. No, really, he does. I’m 99% sure he checks it daily, even though I can be lousy about updating. Then he e-mails me about what I posted.
He reads your blog too. He has been known to give me updates on what’s going on with numbers, referrals, court closures, etc. He even makes these casual, off-hand comments about “that would be better for bonding”, and “well with the court closure” and drops words like “attachment” into conversation. (And all the AGCI families can now pick their jaws up off the keyboard; the drool will short it out)
He is plotting out the optimal time for my referral and travel date, to coincide with his time off, so the child can have maximum uninterrupted care from close family (that’s his sly way of making sure I know he’ll be stealing this one away from me too).
He was more than a little put off when he thought doctors might not recommend kissing the new baby for a few months because of health concerns, “staying at arm’s length is just not my style!” (hee hee, gee I hadn't notice Pop)
Okay, I’ll stop now. But seriously, is this not the sweetest Dad/Grandpa ever? Pretty soft for a crusty old towboater.
1 comment:
Something happened, it tried to translate my comment. Huh.
Anyway, all I said was "yup, he's a gem." I was going to type more, but words can't justify what you dad does for your family.
And I can attest for the man's coffee habit. I've seen it! Truly impressive.
Post a Comment