Saturday, July 5, 2008

Dam Good Fun


The spillgate off Diablo Lake, viewed from the top of the dam.
Today we joined my Dutch relatives on a last little outing before they head home. We all went up to the Seattle Light Project Skagit River dams and took a boat tour of Diablo Lake. It would have been nice if it hadn't rained, but we still enjoyed the scenery and getting a little history. Did you know Ted Bundy was the first person to drive Highway 20 after it officially opened? He was the governor's chauffeur. Creepy little fact.

Me and the boy standing on top of the the dam.

Because of the recent storms the dam at Gorge had a spill gate open, which apparently only happens like one a year. Who woulda thunk they'd have an overflow at the dam on the 5th of July?

C and Grammy on the #6 engine. This was really fun to get to climb all over and explore. You could even pull a rope to ring the big brass bell.



After a long afternoon of climbing all over the steam engine, riding in the bow of the boat, walking along the dam, and picnicking there was a very cranky smallish boy in our vehicle on the way home. He was not tired. But did finally relent. Finally. When my mom and I got back to the freeway we decided to wake him up and have some dinner. Grammy very nicely scooped him up and carried him in (to a freezing restaurant). He was understandably a little grouchy and laid down in the booth with his head on my lap. About two minutes after confirming that he did want a corndog, I noticed that the child in my lap was indeed asleep once again. He continued to sleep with his head on my lap for about an hour in the restaurant.


So mom and I had a leisurely dinner, dessert, and coffee. We packed up a cold corndog, and scooped up a sleeping boy. Some days it seems like this child sleeps way too much! No wonder he's so darn big :). As I loaded him into the car he was finally awake enough to have a conversation.


C: Aw, I didn't get to have any dinner yet.


Me: Do you want to eat your corndog in the car?


C: No I'll wait until we get home so you can heat it up. But you didn't have any dinner either.

Me: Yes I did, Grammy and I ate while you were asleep.

C: I wasn't asleep!

Me: Oh you weren't? Well while you weren't asleep Grammy and I ate our dinners. We had hamburgers and coffee.

C: Oh, okay.

He never seems to realize that he was asleep, unless he had an official nap in a bed. If he falls asleep in the car or in some random place, he just can't come to terms with having fallen asleep at all. Even when he wakes up in a totally different place.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I've always wanted to do that tour, looks like fun. But the T.B thing, ew. Remind me to tell you about him and Lisa G. (from Costco). Creepy!

The Gresham Clan said...

We LOVE it here!! It's one of the best places to go on an adventure - but not too far away! How's the waiting going? There have been some referrals so that's GREAT news!

Kristin

C said...

looks like fun!!!