Saturday, June 7, 2008

Gas Free Weekends

6-1-08
I wish that said “free gas weekends” instead! But no, on Saturday I swung by the Skagit Casino gas station to fill up. But at $4.159 I couldn’t quite bring myself to do it. I can’t believe I was actually relieved to fill up for $4.049 later in the day. This is sad! So for the past couple weeks I’ve been trying really hard to not drive the car on the weekends. There’s no way in heck I can give up gas during the week, but since I live within walking distance of three grocery stores and the Go Line, it is totally worth a shot over the weekend. Two weeks ago we were 100% successful (okay, I did ride my bike to the gas station to buy 1 gallon for the mower, but come on, I have to draw the line somewhere and I and not going to get a manual mower. I use 2 gallons a year mowing the lawn and that is eight bucks well spent).


These photos are from the Jr. Ski to Sea Parade in May. We met up with the Blossom Bunch and had a great time. Every kid needs to be in a few parades.


We rode our bikes to the beach twice, the school and park, walked to the grocery store and Little Caesar’s, rode the bikes to church and Fred Meyer for sandals and sunscreen and even went out to breakfast. All without starting the car once. I was pretty proud of myself.
That is until Christian wiped out in a blind gutter as we were racing home from the store to meet a friend. Blood everywhere! Luckily these sweet ladies saw the whole thing happen and stopped their car (which, being driven by proper hamsters was equipped with a bike rack of course) and they gave us a ride home- all three blocks. I had Christian’s arm wrapped up in my sweater, his face was cut and his knee. I am such a woos! When we got home the little trooper was like “Mama my arm really hurts”, and I’m like “no shit it hurts there’s a nice chuck of flesh hanging out in the sweater I just pulled off you” and just trying to look at the ground because I’m going to faint if I see it flopping open, blood spilling all over the place.

Of course Kim shows up right about then with her son who is going to spend the day with us. I employ my vast knowledge of first aid (get the biggest gauze pad in the box, liberally pour antibiotic ointment on it, and quickly stick to wound before you have to look at it) and Christian is quickly wrapped up and on his way. Kim is marveling at my cool headed care of a wounded child, and I’m praying there wasn’t some chunk of road in there that I just sealed in for the rest of his life.

So this weekend went much better. We got to church by bike (which is a feat in itself since we have to be there at 8:30 am), then out to IHOP for breakfast, over to Dairy Queen for our free Blizzard (they had a special if you brought in your church bulletin) and back home. Christian is so good at handling himself along the busy roads. We have to cross over or under the freeway, and there are a lot of sections without sidewalks along out routes. But he is great on his bike and really pays attention and follows directions to stay safe (not that I’m not freaking out most of the time).

No comments: